About

The Bewick Lodge No 5988 was granted its warrant on the 2nd August 1944 and consecrated on 16th December 1944 under charter from the United Grand Lodge of England    It was founded to mark the twenty-first anniversary of the consecration of Prince Edwin Lodge No.4519, which was consecrated on 12th May 1923.  Founder membership was restricted to the members of the Prince Edwin Lodge.
The name “Bewick” was selected because of the association with the Borough of Gateshead and with Thomas Bewick, the wood engraver.
The excellence of his work won him national fame and distinction in the world of literature and art, and he was acknowledged to be a craftsman of the very highest standing and a superb creative artist.
Thomas Bewick was  born in the year 1753 at Cherryburn House, in the hamlet of Eltringham,  near Mickley, Northumberland.  He served his apprenticeship with Ralph Beilby, engraver, of Amen Corner, Newcastle upon Tyne, and afterwards entered into a partnership with him.  Later he commenced business on his own account in St. Nicholas Square, Newcastle.  He came to reside in West Street, Gateshead in the autumn of 1812, in a house which stood where the Post Office now stands, and he died there on the 8th November, 1828 at the age of 75, leaving behind him many imperishable records of his skilful craftsmanship.
Our regular meetings are held on the 1st Wednesday of each month, at 19:00, except July and August.   They are held at: 
2B1ASK1.jpg (thumbnail)  
   
 
Masonic Hall
Alexandra Road
Gateshead
NE8 1RE  Tyne & Wear                                                      

 

countercountercountercountercountercounter